Plowshares has one position available at this time: Program Assistant
Plowshares Peace and Justice Center
Salary: $12.00 per hour starting salary
Hours: Part time 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Reports to: Members of the Leadership Team
Date: updated November 2017
The Program Assistant collaboratively works with the Leadership Team and Plowshares’ staff, volunteers, and community service workers to ensure the Plowshares dining hall, grounds, kitchen, personal care center, and community room are clean and well-maintained. The Program Assistant may serve as “lead” team member and guide volunteers and community service workers in required tasks. The Program Assistant may fill the role of Plowshares Driver when needed. The Program Assistant is professional, organized, has good communication skills and is available to work some required weekends and holidays. The Program Assistant is expected to embrace Plowshares’ mission and philosophy.
1. Clean and maintain the kitchen, restrooms, dining hall, community room, personal care center, and grounds.
2. Assist with inventory and orders.
3. Driver the Plowshares’ van to pick up and deliver food.
4. Assist in the coordination of meal planning and preparation.
5. Lead volunteers and community service workers in daily cleaning, meal preparation, and serving.
6. Be available to guests, staff, volunteers, and community service workers for special requests, complaints, and solving issues.
7. Assure that facilities are safe, clean, and in compliance with Health and Safety regulations.
8. Enforce Good Neighbor Policy with neighbors, guests, staff, and volunteers.
9. Immediately report all incidents to member of Executive Team.
10. Assist in the coordinating and staffing of all special events and fundraisers.
11. Work occasional weekends and/or holidays as required.
1. Polished oral and written communication skills
2. General office skills
3. Ability to effectively work with guests in poverty, crisis, the mentally ill and developmentally disabled
4. Problem solving/conflict resolution
5. Ability to foster a cooperative atmosphere among staff, volunteers, and guests
6. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all matters
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Plowshares operates a commercial kitchen and dining hall that is open to the public. This position requires routine use of janitorial equipment, commercial kitchen equipment and garden tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The position requires regular lifting of 50 lbs. or more.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position requires ability to work flexible hours and occasional Saturdays and Holidays.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Previous work experience in a commercial kitchen.
2. Previous work experience in social services environment
Valid California Driver’s License with clean driving record
Must Pass Drug Test prior to hire and submit to random drug testing upon hire to ensure compliance with Plowshares’ drug-free workplace policy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click HERE for a job application.